Nothing But Blue Skies HOME     ABOUT ME     HOUSE TOUR     RECIPES     FEATURED     MY CANCER STORY     PROJECTS

Monday, January 23, 2012

Procrastination Paralysis. Master Bath Update.

Hi all! Well, I am aiming for full disclosure here. I have been in a state of paralysis. Late last summer, I hatched a plan to update my master bath while Mr. W was deployed to Afghanistan. I was aiming to have it all completed upon his return home the day before Thanksgiving. **Warning** Long post, but hang in there for lots of pictures!

I would say that we are 80% there. (He was very surprised, and really likes it). I have not done anything else to the room since his return, and the whirlwind that was the holiday season. We were gone more than we were home from Thanksgiving to New Years Eve!

Now that it's late January, I'm running out of reasons not to dive in and finish it.The truth is, It's overwhelming to me, because I'm not IN LOVE with it just yet... it's just not singing to me.

I started with off -white walls. When we moved in, I stripped the wallpaper, and painted the walls off- white, knowing that I would live with it for a bit, and then develop my new plan. A few years after that, I painted the honey oak stained cabinets tan, and added a stain to age them a bit. Everything else stayed the same until this past September.

I wanted something dramatic, and after trying several colors, I decided to go deep brown. Bittersweet, actually. And, I think it was a Home Depot color that Sherwin Williams color matched. I was also in a bit of a quandary tying to figure out what to do with my white doors and trim. To me, it looked like an Oreo, to have the dark drown of the walls next to the white doors. (Actually, they were Swiss Coffee, I think. So not bright white, but close enough!) Of course if my cabinets were also swiss coffee, It probably would have looked less weird, but I digress.

I flip-flopped back and forth between painting the doors and moulding to match the cabs, or be really daring and paint them black. Well, partly because I am lazy sometimes, but mostly because I was worn out from being a single mom while the hubs was deployed, I went ahead and hired a painter to do the the last coats on the walls, and paint the ceiling. I decided to let him paint the doors black, honestly, I thought it would be easier than trying to have him match the finish I did on the cabs.

I'm still not sold on the doors. Now I'm wondering why I did not just paint them the same color as the walls? It just did. not. occur. to me. Who knows? I may not have liked that either.

Here's a rundown of what was changed, and what still needs to be done...

  • All sink, and shower fixtures changed from (Liberace Gold) Shiny Brass to Oil Rubbed Bronze. We are still waiting on the tub fixture to come in. This is our 3rd one. (Long story.)
  • Walls, ceiling, and doors painted.
  • New cabinet hardware installed.
  • New dark brown switch covers, switches and outlets/covers put in. (They used to be white.)
  • New rugs.
  • Some new accessories, some I already had. 
Still on the list to be completed...
  • Painting the old (Liberace Gold) Shiny Brass shower trim. (I found an ORB spray paint that works great for this!)
  • The GIANT honkin' mirrors. I was going to frame them out, but now I think I am going to pull them out, and replace with some nice pre-framed mirrors I saw at Home Goods.
  • Hang grass cloth wall paper in the inset wall where the mirrors are hung.
  • Install wall mounted sconces on grass cloth wall paper on either side of both mirrors.
  • Get new textured roman shade for large window over the tub. I want one with a top-down, bottom-up feature. Smith and Noble has some nice options. 
  • New hand towels.
That about covers it. Our master bath is open to our bedroom, which is predominately a black and tan color scheme. Here are some pics...

 Sink Fixtures.
 Some of my accessories.
 The view looking back into the master bedroom.
 The view of the bath from the bedroom.
 The wall above my tub. Wall plaques reflect three of my favorite cities!
 View from over by the tub, and water closet.
 Yep, that's my arm! No other way to get the shot!

See, there's still tape on the shower glass where I did the test portion ORB.

P.S. For those of you too young to get my Liberace reference, he was a very flamboyant pianist when I was a kid, with a propensity for the overly shiny, overly done look. His costumes alone were so blinged-out, they could have blinded someone! Think an Italian style Elton John playing showtunes. I've always just called our brass fixtures Liberace gold. I am SO happy to be rid of them! 

I am hoping to get this thing wrapped up very soon. Does you also find yourself putting projects on the back burner if they are not living up to the vision you had for them? What do you do to get going again? I'd love any inspiring words that you have for me!

Well, that's it for today! I will be back with more updates on the master bath, as it nears completion. Wish me luck!

Linking up to...



                         
Have a great day!
xo
-Lisa

11 comments:

  1. It is so gorgeous! I love the accessories and the decor. The cabinets are so pretty. Did you paint them? I would love to do mine the same way.
    Sherry's Bees Nest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherry! Yes, I did paint them. They were originally oak, and I painted them tan, and dry brushed a stain over them, then wiped some off just to give the finish a little age. What have you got to lose? Try it!

    xo
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done such a beautiful job! ok I LOVE the black door next to the wall color. Much more interesting than having painted it the same color as the walls. Leave it! Love the fixtures and you did a great job on those cabinets! I paint cabinets all the time also but have never stained them after. Tell me more about what you used to do that, please. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for pinning my shutter project. I'm not on pinterest, do you have to have a fb account to join?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, You are welcome! I did it through facebook...I am not sure of you need a facebook account or not?. I will send you an invite. See if you can set it up without fb. If you want to follow me on Pinterest, you can see what I am pinning. **WARNING** It is mega addictive!!

      xo
      -Lisa

      Delete
  5. Looks awesome Lisa! It is so fun to get a look into your beautiful home. You have great taste (you always have!)
    I need to do a makeover of my bedroom and bathroom...even just paint and accessorize really. I procrastinate because I know we won't live here forever. You sparked a little more motivation for me to do something!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss! That's so sweet of you to say! I think you should go for it! Paint is such an easy way to change things up, and make a room feel new.
      Go for it!

      xo
      -Lisa

      Delete
  6. I think you have done a wonderful job in the master bath. I really like the doors black! You are really talented and creative. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments on my blog....they made my day!
    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karriane- Thank you so much for stopping by to take a look. I've got a long way to go with my blog. I am just starting to figure things out. Hopefully, it will look and function better very soon. Meanwhile, I will keep plugging away.
      Thanks for your sweet comments on my master bath. It is still a work in progress.
      I will continue to follow you and your awesome blog!! :-)
      xo
      -Lisa

      Delete
  7. Your bathroom is gorgeous. Loving the dark walls and ceiling. Gives the room a dramatic and rich look. We changed our all our brass fixtures in ours a couple of years ago. I would love to remove the big mirrors and add sconces just like you mentioned doing, but I guess I will live with what I have for now. Hubby is not to keen on having to replace sheet rock when the mirrors come down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kim! The sheet rock dilemma is the very thing that has been stopping me! I am going to do it though! (Hopefully soon!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your thoughtful comments!