Nothing But Blue Skies HOME     ABOUT ME     HOUSE TOUR     RECIPES     FEATURED     MY CANCER STORY     PROJECTS

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Painted Lamps. My Newest Thrifty Find, Modified.

Hello! Today I want to show you my new lamps. I found them at the GW (that's Goodwill). They were brand new from Tar-jay, (that's Target) and still had their original tags. Target was asking $35 each in the store, but I snagged them at GW for a mere $9.99 a piece! Whoot-whoot!

I loved the shape, but knew I wanted to change the finish, and add black shades. Here's what they looked like before I tweaked them...

 Nice shape, but too brown!

When completed, I wanted the lamps to look like old antiqued brass. I have an old lamp on my desk that has the perfect genuine aged patina to it, so I was hoping to get close to that.

I mixed 3 different acrylic paints, pure gold, black, and venetian gold, and applied them mixed and layered until I achieved the effect I was going for.

 I think I got the look I was hoping for.

Here's how they look on either side of the bed. The suitcases at the foot of the bed are going to find a new home in favor of a padded bench.
 My side of the bed. I collect old Japanese abacus'. I brought one up from another room. I like it next to the new lamp.
 A couple close-ups of the finish.
 Mr. W's side of the bed.
 Last of the close-ups.


I have a few more projects to share this week. We were actually going to take a trip to London today, but we had to re-schedule it. Instead, I think we are headed to Disneyland tomorrow with the little guy! It's a big deal when I get the hubs to agree to go with us!

What new projects are you working on? Have you painted anything this week? My wheels are turning...I have so many crazy ideas, I need to calm down and figure out which one to do first.

Off to plan for the happiest place on earth!

xo
-Lisa









2 comments:

  1. Wow....they turned out great and what a bargain! Just finished staining an Ikea rast dresser for our back hall. Will post pics tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Looking forward to your pics! I will check in on you tomorrow!
    xo
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your thoughtful comments!