Nothing But Blue Skies HOME     ABOUT ME     HOUSE TOUR     RECIPES     FEATURED     MY CANCER STORY     PROJECTS

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

God Bless California Avocado Egg Salad

Some of my lovely readers may already know that I met my husband when I was a flight attendant.

And though I said goodbye to my decade and a half long employment with the airline to be a stay at home Mama, my hubby still flies. 

He has a much better seat, up on the flight deck, with all those windows!

He is also a military pilot.

Today he went off to his base, to fly aerial fire fighting missions. Whenever there is a fire in the west, chances are his unit will be activated to fight it. 

These are long days for him. The mission, even though he is an expert, can be quite dangerous. 
And, he usually packs some food in a cooler that he can eat while they are on the ground re-fueling. 

Today I made him my God Bless California Avocado Egg Salad Sandwiches.
(...or just plain Avocado Egg Salad for the rest of you.)


I got a wild hair one day, and decided to add avocado to my regular egg salad. 

The result? 

YUM!!!!

I used 4 eggs today, and to be really honest, I don't have an exact recipe. 
I'm one of those people that does a little of this, and a pinch or two of that, but I wrote down what I put in it today. Feel free to adjust it to suit your own taste!

I gathered my supplies...and I always use my little egg slicer. 
First I slice length wise, and then flip it and slice each egg width wise too.




I like my egg salad to be chunky, so I try not to smoosh it too much.
Yes, that is a culinary term! ;-)

 I used a half of an avocado today.



 I usually slice the avocado length wise, and width wise like the eggs, and then I just scoop 
it out with a large spoon.



Here's what you will need...


God Bless California Avocado Egg Salad

  • 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
  • 1/8 Cup Mayonaise
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons mustard
  • 1/2 sliced avocado, sliced
  • 1to 1 & 1/2 teaspoons Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. (I use this stuff on everything!)
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt. (I used pink himalayan sea salt from Trader Joe's)
  • 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
  • the juice from one lemon wedge (this keeps the avocado from browning)
  • 1 teaspoon dill (you can use less, but we like quite a bit)


Stir everything together, try not to overmix if you like your egg salad chunky like I do.
I usually squeeze the lemon over the mixture and give it a final toss.

Then just spread it on your choice of sandwich bread.
Ours is gluten free, since I have Celiac Disease.


I think it's such a nice way to change up regular old egg salad!



So I am hoping that the sandwiches did their job today, and God Bless the pilots and firefighters fighting the wildfires!


Here's a good photo of my husband's unit on a mission. 


Hope you are having a great week! 
Give the recipe a try! 


By the way...The new blog name was a result of combining my former occupation as a flight attendant, and the fact that I am a cancer survivor...

Nothing But Blue Skies...

Thanks so much for stopping by!

xo-Lisa

Linking to the following...
  

No Minimalist Here



Funky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_party_150

4 comments:

I love reading all of your thoughtful comments!